Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Greatest Gift is Love.

Post 118 - - - - - Saturday, 20 th January, 2007.

Hi Everyone ~~ How are you all doing today. I hope your birthday has been great
for you Robyn, and I hope everybody is having a wonderful weekend. I believe there
is rain falling in various parts of Victoria, so that is terrific for the fire-fighters and
hopefully will put the fires out. Some have been burning since 1st December,2006.

Unfortunately the rain has not arrived here in any quantity, but surely it will get here
before too long. Yesterday I did some gardening for a while, trimmed things back, and even a bit of weeding. So today, I have stayed inside with the cooler going flat out and trying to catch up with my blogging friends. Now to find something to post - - -

Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night
is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook
dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments
with her children.

Help us remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't
make change correctly is a worried 19 year old college student, balancing his
apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for
next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot
every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only
imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store
aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that,
based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they
go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest
gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our
hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to
judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

Again, thanks to my friend, Linda, who also sent the first joke.

<><><>

We is Friends !!

Me and you is Friends .. .
You smile, I smile ....
You hurt, I hurt ...
You cry, I cry ....
You jump off a bridge ...

I gonna miss your e-mails !!!
<><><>

Another go at the poor old Pom - cricketers !!

A police office pulled over a driver who had been weaving in and out of the lanes.
He approached the car window and said, "Sir, I need you to blow into this
breathalyser tube."

The man immediately reached into his pocket and produced a doctor's note. On it
was written : This man suffers from terrible asthma. Pease don't make him perform
any action that will leave him short of breath."

The officer said, "OK then, I need you to come and give a blood sample."
Straight away, the man produced another letter. This one read :"Please do not
cause him to bleed in any way."

So the police officer said, " Right, I need a urine sample, then."
The man produced a third letter from his pocket. It read, "This man plays for the
English Cricket Team. Please don't take the p**s out of him.

That one was thanks (I think) to Warren and an explanation about the English
Cricket team who are in Australia at present and have lost every game played
against us.
Got to feel sorry for them.
<><><>

This is a fairy tale that we should have been reading as little girls.

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess
happened upon a frog as she sat, contemplating Ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said, " Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am and then my
sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother, where
you can satisfy my needs, prepare and serve my meals, clean my clothes, bear my
children and forever feel grateful and happy doing so."

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly sauteed frog legs, seasoned
in a white wine and onion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself :

I don't b****y think so !!!!

<><><>

If you love something, set it free.
If it comes back, it will always be yours.
If it doesn't come back, it was never yours to begin with.

But if it just sits in your living room, messes up your stuff,
eats your food, uses your telephone, takes your money,
and doesn't appear to realize that you
had set it free ----
You either married it or gave birth to it !!
<><><>

The Busy Doctor.

A young doctor had just opened his office and felt very excited. His secretary told
him there was a man here to see him. The young doctor told her to send him in.

Pretending to be a very busy doctor, he picked up the phone just as the man came in.
" Yes, that's right. The fee is $200. Yes, I'll expect you at ten past two. No later. I'm a busy man."

He hung up and turned to the man waiting. "May I help you?"

" I just came to instal the phone !!!"
<><><>

You 've been on Campus too long when you - - -

Think that McDonald's/ Burger King is "real food."
Know more than 5 uses for milk crates.
Think that going to the Mall is a special trip.
Start doing homework.
Have conversations about homework !
Know your roomie's life like it was your own.
Ask your girfriend "out" to the campus restaraunt.
Stay in the dorm for week-ends.
Call your dorm room "home."
Start thinking that the only people left on earth are the people who go to
your university.
Know more about web sites than Yahoo.
Start doing your own wash.
Think it's OK to call people at midnight, off campus.
<><><><>

An astronaut graduated near the bottom of his class. On his first mission into space
he was teamed with an orangutan. The astronaut and the orangutan were each
given an envelope that they were to open once they got into space. Moments after
blast off the orangutan opened his envelope, read the contents, and then began
flicking buttons.

Excitedly opening his envelope, the astronaut was surprised to discover three words
of instruction : " Feed the orangutan !!"
<><><>

Everyone has talent; what is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place
where it leads. - - - - Erica Jong.

The real secret of patience is to find something else to do in the meantime.

Be parient with everybody, but above all with yourself. - - -St Francis De Sales.

The difference between a hero and a coward is one step sideways.- --Gene Hackman

A warm smile is the universal language of kindness. - - -William Arthur Ward.

Enough for tonight. Enjoy your weekend, or what's left of it. Take care, Merle.

Post 118 - - - - - Saturday, 20 th January, 2007.
<><><><>





7 comments:

Raggedy said...

I found myself behind on on my blog reading. Life has been getting in the way of my computer time..lol
I read all the posts I missed and they were all fabulous! I really enjoy my time with you.
I hope you get some rain soon.
I also offered to trade some of the cold weather here for some heat from there..lol
Thank you for sharing.
Your Dad sounded like a very special and beautiful soul. May he rest in peace.
Great quotes, great stories, and great jokes.
Thank you
Bless you
Hugs
Love,Raggedy

Puss-in-Boots said...

Loved the prayer, Merle. Oh, wouldn't the world be a lovely place if it was granted!

When I was living in NZ, we used to go to St Francis de Sales church for mass. Nice to see he has writings too.

Thank you for your birthday wishes, Merle.

Hugs xoxox

The Ramblin Irishman said...

I liked the part about the older couple casually going through a store, etc, etc. We have some friends that just found out her cancer has started up and she is taking radiation as well as chemotheraph with a possible operation once those treatments are done. They are truly reflecting on their good times together and wondering how long it will last.

Jo said...

Hi Merle, we sure do need the rain, it has been raining on and off here. Hopefully it had done wonders for those fires out there.

DellaB said...

Hi Merle, I am sure your father is with you, they live in our hearts and minds.

Lotsa good reading, laughter IS the best medicine...

thanks
Della

Jeanette said...

Dear Merle
"WOW" It rained here last night but blue sky's again today I hope the rain fell were the fires are.
How true! The greatest gift is love. If you love something, set it free.
Take care,Merle We is friends (((hugs))). Jan

Michelle said...

LOL @ "Heavenly father".....too funny!
Hope you had a great weekend Merle. We've had decent rain here the last few days, I'll try and beam some down to you!
Keep smiling :o)