Friday, February 02, 2007

The Mother.

Post 130 - - - - - Friday, 2nd February, 2007.

Hello Everyone
~ ~ I hope that all is well with you all, as it is here for me today. I am
feeling much better after a small hiccup yesterday. It is a very hot day again with even hotter predicted in the next few days - 38 C is about 100 F and that is what the likely weekend temperature will be. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

Life is full of surprises lately for me. I mentioned to a neighbor lady that I needed
someone to do some weeding for me. Well she turned up today, in the heat, but we
found a shady area and she spent a couple of hours weeding and planting a few nice
pelargoniums that I had struck from cuttings. After that, Lorraine went home across the street, had a shower and then took me to collect my new glasses as she had to go for an errand for herself. The glasses seem to be great, so far and I am most
grateful to her. I was able to give her some plants from the garden, a wisteria and
several Elephant's Ears, so I hope they grow for her. (I also paid for the work.)

I have still been unable to comment on Peters or Margaret's blogs. However I had an
e-mail from Margaret and she says she is well again, which is good. She will have a sad day tomorrow, the birthday of the son she lost 13 months ago.
Today is the birthday of my grand-daughter Kristen who is 14, and also my cousin
Michelle who stayed with me. I hope both have had a good day.

This is a piece I found called "The Mother' Hope you enjoy.

1. When you were 1 year old, she fed you and bathed you. You thanked her by crying
all the night.

2. When you wer 2 years old, she taught you to walk. You thanked her by running away when she called you.

3. When you were 3 yrs old, she made all your meals with love. You thanked her by
tossing your plate on the floor.

4. When you were 4 yrs old, she gave you some crayons. You thanked her by
coloring the dining room table.

5. When you were 5 yrs old, she dressed you for the holidays. You thanked her by
looping into the nearest pile of mud.

6. When you were 6 yrs old, she walked you into school. You thanked her by
screaming, "I'M NOT GOING."

7. When you were 7 yrs old, she bought you a baseball. You thanked her by
throwing it through the next-door-neighbor window.

8. When you were 8 yrs old, she handed you an icecream. You thanked her by
dripping it all over your lap.

9. When you were 9 yrs old, she paid for piano lessons. You thanked her by never
even bothering to practice it.

10. When you were 10 yrs old, she drove you all day, from soccer to gymnastics, to
one birthday party after another. You thanked her by jumping out of the car
and never looking back.

11. When you were 11 yrs old, she took you and your friends to the movies. You
thanked her by asking to sit in a different row.

12. When you were 12 yrs old, she warned you not to watch certain TV shows. You
thanked her by waiting until she left the house.

13. When you were 13 yrs old, she suggested a haircut that was becoming. You
thanked her by telling her she had no taste.

14. When you were 14 yrs old, she paid for a month away at summer camp. You
thanked her by forgetting to write a single letter.

15. When you were 15, she came home from work, looking for a hug. You thanked
her by having your bedroom door locked.

16. When you were 16, she taught you how to drive her car. You thanked her by
taking it every chance you could.

17. When you were 17, she was expecting an important call. You thanked her by
being on the phone all night.

18. When you were 18, she cried at your school graduation. You thanked her by
by staying out partying until dawn.

19. When you were 19, she paid for your college tuition, drove you to campus,
carried your bags. You thanked her by saying good-bye outside the dorm so
you wouldn't be embarrassed in front of your friends.

20. When you were 20, she asked whether you were seeing anyone. You thanked
her by saying, "It's none of your business."

21. When you were 21, she suggested certain careers for your future. You thanked
her by saying, "I don't want to be like you."

22. When you were 22, she hugged you at your college graduation. You thanked her
by asking whether she could pay for a trip to Europe.

23. When you were 23, she gave you furniture for your first apartment. You
thanked her by telling your friend it was ugly.

24. When you were 24, she met your fiancee and asked about your plans for the
future. You thanked her by glaring and growling, "Muuhh-ther, please."

25. When you were 25, she helped pay for your wedding, and she cried and told how
deeply she loved you. You thanked her by moving halfway across the country.

26. When you were 30, she called with some advice on the baby. You thanked her
by telling her, "Things are different now."

27. When you were 40, she called to remind you of a relative's birthday. You thanked
her by saying you were "really busy right now."

28. When you were 50, she fell ill and needed you to take care of her. You thanked
her by reading about the burden parents become to their children.

29. And then, one day, she quietly died. And everything you never did, came
crashing down like thunder on your heart.

IF SHE IS STILL AROUND, NEVER FORGET TO LOVE HER MORE THAN
EVER.

AND IF SHE IS NOT, REMEMBER HER UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
<><><><>
That was long, but I thought it was quite interesting. Did you?


Jokes coming up. My son, John sent the first ones.

20 Things that make Australia great .
1. The bigger the hat, the smaller the farm.
2. The shorter the nickname, the more they like you.
3. Whether it's the opening of Parliament, or a launch of a new Art Gallery, there is
no Australian event that can't be improved by a sausage sizzle.
4. If the guy next to you is swearing like a wharfie, he's probably a media billionaire.
On the other hand, he could be a wharfie.
5. There is no food that cannot be improved by the application of tomato sauce.
6. On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by placing them inside
their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.
7. Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the plastic milk crate.
8. All our best heros are losers.
9. The alpha male in any group is the one who takes the barbecue tongs from the
hands of the host and blithely begins turning the snags.
10. It's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to hold.
11. It is proper to refer to your best friend as a "total bastard" By contrast, your
worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard."
12. If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, it's not worth fixing.
13. The most popular and widely praised family in any street is the family is the one
with the swimming pool.
14. The phrase "we've got a great lifestyle" means everyone in the family drinks
too much.
15. If invited to a party, you should take cheap red wine and then spend all night
drinking the host's beer.
16. The phrase "a simple picnic" has no meaning. You should take everything you
own. If you don't need to make 3 trips back to the car, you're not trying.
17. On picnics, the Esky is always too small, creating a food versus grog battle that
can only be resolved by leaving the salad at home.
18. Unless ethnic or a Pom, you are not permitted to sit down in your front yard, or
on your front porch. Pottering around, gardening, or leaning on the fence is
acceptable. Just don't sit. That's what back yards are for.
19. There comes a time in every Australian's life when they realise that the Aerogard
is worse than the mozzies.
20. And, finally, the true test for immigration to Australia. Potential new Aussies
must pass the following test - - Mow a sloping lawn in a pair of thongs while
holding a VB and watchng the cricket. Easy !!!

I might add, we are not all like that !! And John is a non drinker !!

A woman was walking along the beach when she stumbled upon a bottle.
She picked it up and rubbed it, and a genie appeared. The amazed woman asked if
she got three wishes. The genie said, "Nope, sorry, 3-wish genies are a myth."

"I'm a one wish genie. So what'll it be?" The woman did not hesitate.
"I want peace in the Middle East," she said. "See this map? I want these countries
to stop fighting with each other and I want all the Arabs to love the Jews and the
Americans and vica versa. It will bring about world peace."

The genie looked at the map and said, "Lady, be reasonable. These countries have
been at war for thousands of years. I'm out of shape after being in a bottle for 500
years. I'm good, but not THAT good. I don't think it can be done. Make another
wish and please be reasonable."

The woman thought for a minute and said : "Well I have never been able to find the
right man. You know, one that is considerate and fun, likes to cook, and help with
the house cleaning, is great in bed, and gets along with my family, doesn't watch sports and is faithful. That's what I wish for -- a good man."

The genie let out a sigh and said, "Let me see that map again !!"
<><><>
Just a couple of quotes - - - -

A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small parcel.

The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people.
- - - - Lucille S. Harper.

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise
you with their ingenuity. - - - Gen. George S. Patton. Jr.

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - -Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bye now my friends. Have a wonderful weekend which is heading our way.
Take care of each other and yourselves. Cheer, Merle.

Post 130 - - - - - - Friday, 2 nd February, 2007.
<><><><>




18 comments:

Pear tree cottage! said...

Merle there you go again getting me laughing and you capture me with your posts it is always wonderful to read.

It is going to be 40 deg's here on Sunday so hot! very hot! for us too.

Keep cool and I will chat again real soon.
Lee-ann

Gattina said...

It's so nice to have good neighbors ! We also have very helpful once and they are good friends. Each time I need them they are here for me. One of them always takes care of our 4 cats when we are on vacation and comes over to sit with them and talk to them, isn't that sweet ?
The mother poeme is probably very nice, but my mother has never done anything of such things, so I am unable to comment on that.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Good neighbours are a disappearing breed. Most people are too busy with their own lives these days. I'm so happy you have a lovely neighbour like Lorraine, she is to be treasured. I'm very lucky in that respect too, with Jane and Fred.

Take care and I'm glad you're feeling better.

Robyn xoxo

Raggedy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Raggedy said...

That was me where it says comment deleted. I put to many cats in the first comment. Hugs
I am glad Lorraine was able to help out. I hope some cooler weather breezes in for you.
I am also glad the new glasses are working well.
Thank you for the link in a previous post to Margaret.
Happy Birthday to Kristen and Michelle!
I got to read three of your posts today. I enjoyed them all.
Great posts!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one
Take care, cheers, and hugs dear friend.
Love, Raggedy

audrey` said...

Hi Merle

Oops! It's going to be very hot. Please take care.

The article on "The Mother" is so true. May I copy it?
Thank you =)

Tonya said...

Hi Merle.. great post as usual and hope you have a great weekend.. the mother post was so true but really left me feeling sad at the end.

Susie said...

Hi Merle,
I found that Mother post so sad. Wouldn't it lonely to have a mother daughter relationship like that?
I suppose it does happen though!
xoxox

Big Dave T said...

Thought I'd stop by to see what's happening at Merle's place. Always good fun to be here. I'll have to forward that "Mother's list" on for my wife. She'll love it. Will remind her of our second boy.

Sounds like the steering wheel is going to be hot enough to be summer there. Meanwhile, we're supposed to have the coldest week of the winter here in Michigan with temperatures dipping below 0 degrees (that's fahrenheit; don't know what it would be in celsius).

JunieRose2005 said...

Dear Merle,

The mother-daughter thing is all too often -true- on some or all of those points in time! SAD.

Junie

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Merle...how wonderful to have such a lovely neighbour who is willing to help out like that. We're very lucky to have such neighbours too:-)

"The Mother" brought tears to my eyes...hopefully someone who is not getting along with their mom will read it and realize how very precious time is with our moms and not to throw it all away until it's too late.

Loved the jokes and quotes also. I do hope you manage to stay somewhat cool in the heat you're having!! Take care dear friend! Hugs xoxo

Val said...

The Mother story and Pea's comment are a good wake up call, and I'm going to ring my mother in the U.S. right now (after checking on the time zone difference of course!)

Lee said...

Thanks again for the smiles, Merle. :)

I love pelargonians...lovely plants.

Carolanne said...

It is summer - the steering wheel is hot.
My son is only 14 and I'm hoping he doesn't follow suit.
As for it not being true of Australians - there was some truth in it and the fiction part certainly was funny! :)

Janice Seagraves said...

That woman with the Genie wasn't asking too much was she?

Janice~

Jeanette said...

Dear Merle
The Mothers story so true in many cases.But my family always make me feel so needed and loved.Always say I love you when they call me.
Oh that steering wheel got very "hot" to hold when I went out today 43c here today same tomorrow. I think ill stay indoors tomorrow. Take care try too keep cool(((HUGS)). Janxxx

Granny said...

The mother-daughter post really touched me.

So much of the early reactions are the normal asserting of independence but most of us come to realize how much we've learned from our moms and how much we love them.

Sadly, some never do.

Sorry you weren't well and glad you're feeling better. I was finally able to leave a comment with Margaret yesterday.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Mom's story was great. Sadly I am guilty of many of those. I am 44; Mom is 81. I will call her today and tell her I love her!