Sunday, September 09, 2007

No Time to Stand and Stare.

Post 308 - - - - - Sunday, 9th September, 2007.

Hello my friends ~~ I hope you have all had, or are having s
really nice weekend with pleasant weather and happy times.
My garden looks tidy and nice, thanks mainly to Geoff. Jo
also helped and it is a pleasure to look around it all.

Well, I have caught up with reading and comments, but it
is late, as usual getting started. I came upon an old book of
memories, cards from Grandkids, and early photos etc and
found a poem I learned at school, way, way back in
the past.
It was written in my childish hand-writing - I'd say about age 13.
So after the photos that will be my post start



A nice plant I bought yesterday at Bunnings. It has very shiny leaves and
they say the leaves change colors depending on the weather. It is called
Tequila Sunrise !! So, it sounds nice, to those who like a drink. There
are pansies in the other pot, and not one of them posing for the camera.




This picture is older than I am (73). It belonged to my mother
before I was born. I love it and it is one of a pair. This one is in
my bedroom.


This one is in my guest room and I just love both. And of course I had
to drape flowers over them. Actually John did that for me. He is going
back to work tomorrow, so I hope he will be OK.


Now back to my childhood - - - -
It is called "Leisure " by W. H. Davies.

What is this life, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to
stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
<><><>

Time for a few jokes - - - -

At a U 2 concert in Glasgow, Bono asked the audience
for some quiet. Then in the silence, he started to slowly
clap his hands.

Holding the audience in total silence, he said into the
microphone : "Every time I clap my hands, a child in
Africa dies."

A voice from near the front pierced the silence, "Well,
stop fricken' clapping then !"
<><>

Billy was at school and the teacher asked all the children
what their fathers did for a living. All the typical answers
came out - - - fireman, policeman, salesman, chippy,
captain of industry.

But Billy was being uncharacteristically quiet, so the teacher
asked him about his father.

"
My father is an exotic dancer in a gay club and takes all his
clothes off in front of other men. Sometimes if the offer is
really good, he'll go out with the man, rent a cheap hotel
room and let them sleep with him."

The teacher quickly set the other children some work, and took
Billy aside to ask him if that was really true.

"No, " said Billy, He plays cricket for England, but I was too
embarrassed to say."
<><>

A man and his six year old daughter were having breakfast.
The daughter turns to the father and asks, :Dad where
does pooh come from ?"

Shocked by this question from his little girl, the father thought
for a moment and responded.
"Well, you see all the food we are eating goes down our throats
and into our bellies and comes out as pooh when we go to the
toilet."

The daughter looked shocked and when the father asked what
was wrong, the daughter responded; "Well, where does Tigger
come from then?"
<><>

Bill Clinton, George Bush and George Washington are on the
Titanic.

As the boat was sinking, George Washington heroically shouts :
"Save the women !"

George Bush hysterically screeches, "Screw the women !"

And Bill Clinton's eyes light up and he asks, "Do we have time ?"
<><>

Telephone answering machine message; "If you want to buy
marijuana, press the hash key.
<><>

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

According to a new survey, women say they feel more comfortable
undressing in front of men than they do in front of women. They
say women are too judgmental, where, of course, men are just
grateful.
<><>

An exasperated mother, whose son was always getting in to
mischief, finally asked him, "How do you expect to get
into Heaven ?"

The boy thought it over and said, "Well, I'll run in and out
and in and out and keep slamming the door until St. Peter
says, "For Heaven's sake, Dylan, either come in or stay out."
<><>

Miss Jones had been giving her second grade students a
lesson on science, She had explained about magnets and
showed them how they would pick up nails and other metal

Now it was question time and she asked : "My name begins
with "M" and I pick up things. What am I ?"

A little boy in the front row said : "You're a mother !"
<><>

Well, I must get off to bed. Look after yourselves and
each other. Share your smiles with someone who needs
one. Love and Best wishes. Cheers, Merle.

Post 308 - - - - - - Sunday, 9th September, 2007.
<><><>

13 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

The plants look great. Those pictures are a treasure. Thanks for sharing.
Pleasant dreams. love and prayers

BigDadGib said...

LOL

Good jokes!!!

BigDadGib

Tammy said...

The pictures are lovely and made even more lovely by the flower garlands!

Couldn't read the whole post as I'm having a wee bit of trouble with my eyes and will be seeing the doc tomorrow.

Have a great day!
:)

Granny said...

Some great jokes today, Merle, especially the one about our Presidents.

That poem makes me sad as does this one which you've probably either read or posted.

Nothing has changed since either of those pieces were written. We still don't seem to have time to stop and smell the roses.

Unknown said...

Merle, you have such neat tings about your house!

JunieRose2005 said...

Merle,


I love the pictures and the flowers draped over the frames looks very pretty!

I know you're happy to have your flowers and garden spruced up! Very nice of your kids to do that for you.

I liked that poem, even tho a little sad. (to think there's so much we miss along the way)

Thanks for the jokes- I enjoyed- as always.


June

Lee said...

Lovely, lovely, Merle. Wonderful pictures. :)

Deborah Wilson said...

lol! Good joke about the presidents and I must add the blonde jokes in your last post - all are too funny. The tequila sunrise plant is pretty - does it get very big? I just started a few pots of honey dew vines for the kitchen and dining room - they grow fast and well - by the time winter rolls around, I can still have green in the house.

Jeanette said...

Dear Merle,love your pictures
there a treasure made more special by belonging to your Mother many years ago,your pot of pansies are going to look lovely when they in full bloom in that nice pot, i9 havent heard of the other one,great jokes iZ laughed at Clintons response. lol. Take care, love Jan

Anonymous said...

Hello Merle,

I have just discovered your site and I must say I have been laughing at your jokes and marveling at the photographs of your flowers.

I live in The USA ,in Pennsylvania.
and will be reading your thoughts on a regular basis in the future.

I don't have a Blog myself because I don't think I am clever enough to sustain one over a long period of time. So, I hope you don't mind if I drop in to you for some fun and photos.

smilnsigh said...

How lovely to have these very old pictures. :-)

Mari-Nanci

Bob said...

Those two pictures remind me of one my mum has that I like, I will try and remember to get a picture of it some time and show you. Bob.

audrey` said...

Wow!
It's such a beautiful idea to drape flowers over the pictures =)