Friday, July 20, 2007

Special Poem for Senior Citizens !!

Post 263 - - - - - Friday, 20th July, 2007.

Howdy Everyone - - I hope the weekend is going well for those of us
who almost are into it, and I hope it will be great for those about to get
into it. It has been a reasonable day again and a few more expected,
before we get more rain. It is nice to see the sunshine, although there
is not a lot of heat in it.

I had a nice surprise this afternoon, when my grandson, Joh turned up
or a quick visit on his way to stay with friends - where they used to live.
He will be back here on Sunday evening for tea and to stay the night
before he leaves for home Monday morning. Joh is just 18 and has just
got his driver's license. On his second attempt. He goes into the Army
in three weeks time. So I hope he will enjoy that.

I will start with some VERY old photos - all black and white ones.

This one is with a pet lamb we had at the time-- Me, Peter & cousin Danny.


More cousins with us - Back Merle, Peter, John and David
Front - Jenny and Peter. (Johnny & Peter both dec.)

Merle, about 5 and and Peter about 3 years.


Three on a horse- - Peter, my B.I.L. Danny and cousin Danny - all about 12 yrs.


Tonight I have a "Special Poem for Senior Citizens" sent to me by my dear
friend Sherrill - who went to school with my daughter Kathy. I taught them both
to drive many years ago. Thank you Sherrill. Hope all is well at home.

Special Poem for Senior Citizens !!

A row of bottles on my shelf
Caused me to analyze myself.
One yellow pill I have to pop
Goes to my heart so it won't stop.

A little white one that I take
Goes to my hands so they won't shake.
The blue ones I use a lot
Tell me I'm happy and when I'm not.

The purple pill goes to my brain
And tells me that I have no pain.
The capsules tell me not to wheeze
Or cough or choke or even sneeze.

The red ones, smallest of them all
Go to my blood so I won't fall.
The orange ones, very big and bright
Prevent my leg cramps in the night.

Such an array of brilliant pills
Helping to cure all kinds of ills.
But what I'd really like to lnow . . . . .
Is what tells each one where to go !!

There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take the time
to look for it. For example, I am sitting here thinking how
nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt !!!!

Laugh a little every day.
<><><>

Little Bunny Foo-Foo hopping through the forest, scooping up the
little field mice, and bopping them on the head.

Down came the good fairy. She said, "Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I don't
want you scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.
If you don't behave, I will turn you into a goon. I will give you
THREE chances."

The next day : Little Bunny Foo-Foo, hopping through the forest,
scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.

Down came the good fairy.. She said, "Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I don't
want you scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.
If you don't behave, I will turn you into a goon. I will give you TWO
more chances.

The next day : Little Bunny Foo=Foo, hopping through the forest
scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.

Down came the good fairy. She said, "Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I don't
want you scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.
If you don't behave, I will turn you into a goon. ONE more chance."

The next day : Little Bunny Foo-Foo, hopping through the forest,
scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.."

Down came the good fairy. She said, "Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I
warned you ! I gave you three chances, and you didn't behave."
She waved her magic wand, and POOF ! Little Bunny Foo-Foo
turned into a goon.

And the moral of this story is :
Hare today, goon tomorrow !!
<><>

An Eskimo got so cold while paddling his kayak that he built a fire to
warm himself up. Naturally, the kayak sank, and he had to swim to
shore in the icy waters.


This only goes to show that you can't have your Kayak and heat it too.
<><>

A boy was bagging groceries at a supermarket. One day the store
installed a machine for squeezing fresh orange juice. Intrigued, the
young man asked if he could he allowed to work the machine, but
his request was denied.

Said the store manager, " Sorry, kid, but baggers can't be juicers."
<><>

A man was visiting his colleague who had rather a ferocious looking
dog which barked at him loudly as he walked up the path. So he
said, " My word, your dog does bark. I even thought he might bite me."

His colleague replied, " Oh, he's all right. You know the saying, " A
barking dog never bites."

"Yes," said the first man, "I know the saying and you know the
saying, but does the dog know it ?"
<><>

Brian's mother and father had told him about the facts of life, but
when it came to telling their younger son, only 7 years old, they
were too embarrassed,
"Brian will you tell John about the birds and the bees?" pleaded
Brian's father.

Brian agreed and that night rian asked John, "Do you know what
Mum and Dad do in bed at night?"
"Of course I know,"replied John.
"Well," said Brian, "it's the same with the birds and bees."
<><>

A man who beat his carpet to death a few hours ago is expected
to be charged with matricide.
<><>

The most difficult secret a man has to keep is the opinion
he has of himself. - - - Marcel Pagnol'


Solitude is a good place to visit, but a poor place to stay.
- - - - Josh Billings.

We may not return the affection of those who like us, but
we always respect their good judgement.--Libbie Fudim

A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.
- - - - William Arthur Ward.
<><>

Goodnight/ good morning to you all. I am off to bed.
Have a wonderful weekend and be kind to each other.
Cheers, Love and best wishes to you all, Merle.

Post 263 - - - - - Friday, 20th July, 2007.
<><><>

11 comments:

Gattina said...

Such nice souvenirs ! Have to say that bath suits and hairdos were exactly the same over here too, lol ! You were a cute little girl ! The poeme for seniors is very funny.

Now I understand your way of cooking I do that too because it's the same work 2 portions or 10 portions. I do it especially with soup, tomato sauce or stews. So I don't have to cook everyday either. But we also have a very nice cattering service here and for two persons it's really cheap so often I buy there.

Vickie said...

Ms.Merle---I love the photos you shared with us. It is so neat to look back and see how someone looked years ago. You were such a pretty little girl.

I loved the quotes you shared here---of course I happen to just enjoy quotes.

Enjoy your weekend and especially your visit with Joh when he returns on Sunday. It is always nice to receive surprises ---especially when it is a visit from one we love.

Anonymous said...

I love the B&W photos. I inherited my mother's pictures. I did post a few B&W from Las Vegas on my photo blog.

Mountain Mama said...

I love your pictures Merle, especially the one of the gang swimming. That is so sweet.
I have some old photos I hope to pose one day too.
I like your funnies and the senior poem sure hit home! LOl

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed the old photos! As for t6he poem, as one who is quickly becoming a senior citizen, I more than identify with most of it.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Interesting photos of you and Peter in your childhood, Merle. Three on a horse...lol, I have a similar photo somewhere.

Loved the seniors poem...actually, it's not such a silly question, is it?

It's a little warmer here, thank goodness. I can have the doors and windows open without freezing to death in the middle of the day.

Take care. Hugs xoxo

Jim said...

Merle, you did real good with those pictures. I too have a three on a horse, Dad, sister (Lois), and me.
It is nice that Joh came to visit you. He is very thoughtful. I hope he likes the Army too. Most do, I sure did for the most part.
The Army helped grow me up. And gave me a trade, electronics, for the next 17 years.
..

Lee said...

I love seeing such photos...the innocence on the faces of children...how we all were...once. :)

audrey` said...

Hi Merle
"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness"...
This is so true.
(((HUGS))) and smiles =))) to you.

wazza said...

Gidday Merle,
Some great old pics and Peter hasn't changed much, except where there was one of Peter in the photo there is maybe at least 20 Peters in each photo...oh I am so naughty...hahaha.

Val said...

Just love the photos, Merle. And I can relate to the ending of that poem for senior citizens - my motto (Try to have some fun every day)fits in well.

So, who's going to be the new Carlton coach? Hopefully someone who will coax a few more wins this year.