Saturday, August 18, 2007

House Fires.

Post 290 - - - - - - Saturday, 18th August, 2007.

Hi Everyone ~~ I hope all is well with you, as it is here with me. And I hope
the weekend is proving to be a happy fun-filled one for you. It terrifies me
to think that there is only four months until Christmas. It seems no time
since the last one.

Now for the photos - - - -



Two wonderful Eucalypt (Gum) trees. I love this picture.


This is a friend, who used to board with us when we were all teenagers.
That was quite a while ago. Behind Keith are The Three Musketeers.




Another of the tiles from their kitchen.


This is one of those "BIG" things - -that is at Swan Hill, Victoria.


The first item was sent by Warren as a warning for us all. Thanks Warren.

This is one of those e-mails that if you don't send it, rest assured someone
on your list will suffer for not reading it. The original message was written
by a lady whose brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house burned down - nothing left but ashes. They have good
insurance, so the house will be replaced and most of the contents.

That is the good news.

However they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The
insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours.

He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bedroom. He asked
her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.

She listed the normal things - - -curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying
to her, "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high
temperatures." Then her s-i-l remembered she had a Glade plug-in in
the bathroom.

The investigator had one of those "aha" moments. He said that the cause
of the fire. He said he had seen more house fires started with the plug-in
type plug-in room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they
are made from is THIN plastic, and in every case there was nothing left
to prove that it even existed.

When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the
plug-in were still in there. Her s-i-l had one of the plug-ins that had a small
night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and
finally go out. She would walk to the bathroom a few hours later, and the
light would be back on. The investigator said that the unit was getting too
hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light globe. Once it
cooled, it would come back on again.

That is a warning sign. The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any
type of plug-in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many
places that have burned down due to them.

Please pass this on to all the people in your address book. Not only could it
say someone's house, but it could save someone's life.
<><><>

A friend asked me about a joke about counting sheep, so I found this one for her.
I hope this one will do, Lee-ann.

A shepherd was herding his flocks in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand new Jeep Cherokee advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and a YSL tie leaned out of the window and asked our shepherd: “If I can tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one? “

The shepherd looks at the yuppie, then at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answers “sure! “The yuppie parks the car, whips out his notebook, connects it to a cell-phone, surfs to a NASA page on the Internet where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system, scans the area, opens up a database and some 60 Excel spreadsheets with complex formulas. Finally he prints out a 150 page report on his hi-tech miniaturised printer, turns round to our shepherd and says: “you have here exactly 1586 sheep! “

“This is correct. As agreed, you can take one of the sheep, “says the shepherd. He watches the young man make a selection and bundle it in his Cherokee.

Then he says: “If I can tell you what your business is, will you give me my sheep back? “

“Okay, why not “answers the young man. “You are a consultant, “says the shepherd.

“This is correct, “says the yuppie, “How did you guess that? “

“Easy “answers the shepherd. “You turn up here although nobody called you. You want to be paid for the answer to a question I already knew the solution to. And you don't know anything about my business because you took my dog. “

<><><>
A camel decided to educate his son who he suspected was getting a
little inquisitive.

"Why do we have two humps?" asked the son. "That's so that we
can go for days and weeks without water. We can store it in the
humps."

"Why do we have long eyelashes?" "That," he was told, "is to protect
the eyes from the sand in a sand storm."

And why do we have bulbous looking feet?" "That is so we can travel
twice as fast through the desert."

"Dad," asked the young camel, "what the hell are we doing in this zoo?"
<><>

The doctor was visiting 78 year old Jim at his home for a routine check-up.

"For a man your age, " said the doctor, "you're in excellent shape. How do
you manage it?"

"Well," replied Jim, "I don't drink, I don't smoke and I've never played
around with women and . . . . ." He was interrupted by a crashing sound
and female shrieks coming from the room immediately above them.

"What was that?" asked the doctor.
"Oh," said Jim, "Only my father chasing the new au pair girl. He must
be drunk again !!"
<><>

The drunk staggered along the street with a large bottle of brandy in
each pocket when he suddenly tripped and fell heavily to the ground.

As he began to pull himself to his feet, he noticed that part of him felt
wet. He touched the wet patch with his fingers, then looked blearily
at them and sighed, "Thanksh goodnesh ! It's only blood !!"
<><>

A little girl's thank you note : "Thank you for your nice present. I
always wanted a pin cushion, but not very much."
<><>

"Darling, you have the face of a saint."
"Dearest, you say the sweetest things!! Which saint?"
"A Saint Bernard !!"
<><>

And a few quotes to finish with - - - -

I think we consider too much the luck of the early bird and not
enough the bad luck of the early worm. - -Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Lack of money is the root of all evil. - -George Bernard Shaw.

Old age takes away from us what we have inherited and gives us
what we have earned. - - Gerald Brenan.

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they
didn't they'd be married too. - - - H. L. Mencken.

Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it.
- - - - Harold Hulbert.

That is enough for tonight my friends. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Be kind to one another and be happy. Love and best wishes to you all.
Cheers, Merle.

Post 290 - - - - - Saturday, 18th August, 2007.
<><><><>



16 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

LOL I must still the St. Bernard joke.
Fortunately, I have never seen the reason for those plug ins. Now I know I was correct. Must be made in China like the toys. dog food and toothpaste.
have a wonderful weekend and may your side get rain even if we do not.
love and prayers

Deborah Wilson said...

Dear Merle,

Thanks for the safety bit about the plug-ins. They do keep a home smelling nice...but I too have noticed how they get a little too warm. I stopped using them about a year ago.

Vickie said...

Ms. Merle I love The Three Musketeers that are in the picture with your friend Keith.

Thanks for the smiles once again.

Sending you special wishes that you will continue to enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

Four months till xmas? Don't remind me please!

O and that fish... I know someone who swears he caught one that size... (don't we all)

hope you're having a great weekend

all the very best

gleds

Val said...

Call me old fashioned, but I still just open doors and windows to keep the house fresh.

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Merle:-)

That picture of the two Gum trees is just gorgeous...we don't have those trees here so they are fascinating to see! How wonderful to be able to still visit with Keith...we always had a couple of boarders when I was growing up, it was mom's way of making a bit of money.

After reading that those plug ins can cause fires, I went to remove the one I had in the washroom! Gosh, I didn't realize they could cause fires but I have noticed how hot the plastic gets. Rather be safe than sorry!!

Take care dear friend! xoxox

Unknown said...

I never would have thought that those plug-in fragrance dispensers were dangerous!

Thanks for sharing the photos, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Dear Merle,Nice photo of keith,I have one of you Keith and Anne standing near the 3 Musketeers ill email it to you.Great jokes toss up between Saint Bernard and the sheep joke gave me a chuckle... take care Merle, Love jan

Tammy said...

Good info about the deodorizer inserts...I think they make me sneeze anyhow...
loved this quote the best...Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it.
- - - - Harold Hulbert.
Have a great day!
:)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Merle

I received that email about the plug-ins a few years ago and was told it was a hoax, otherwise why haven't warnings been broadcast and why do they still sell those plug-ins? I've never bought them anyway, so I don't know whether they get hot or not.

However mobile phone rechargers do get hot if they're left plugged in and there have been warnings against doing so once the phone has recharged. So I guess the sensible thing to do with both of these is not leave them plugged in continuously...just in case.

smilnsigh said...

Sorry Dear, but that piece about the Glade Plugins Fire Hazard is False. It's an Urban Legend.

When you receive one of these Forwards, please check at a Urban Legend site. One is to be found at the following link...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

Mari-Nanci

smilnsigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smilnsigh said...

Nope, I can't leave a working click-able link in comments here. :-)

Mari-Nanci

audrey` said...

Dearest Merle

Warren's advice is so important.
Thank you =)

Gledwood said...

hey i just read that "pin in reverse" thing again ... is that definitely true? i bet it doesn't apply in this country! great idea though!!

Do you know or like The Glenn Miller Band? BC I posted one of his tunes up today to me it is the very sound of world war ii i've been searching for the name (& artist's name come to think of it) for AGES.. only today did i finally find out so i pasted it up on my blog for today (tuesday) at long last!!

thanks for the lovely message you left at mine

i'm sure my mum does know all about my ongoing situation... SURELY she does..!!..

Anonymous said...

duspiffup
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/vitiligo]vitiligo[/url]
sodoSousy