Sunday, October 14, 2007

Procrastination.

Post 338 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Sunday, 14th October, 2007.

Hi again my friends - - Our weekend is on it's last legs but
some of you have Sunday to come. Enjoy it and make it
fun for someone else, and everyone will be happy. I will
get some photos tomorrow to post for you. I had a quiet
day with only Mike calling in to get some meals. We both
like Lee's Meatloaf, only I cook it longer than she suggests.

I have been enjoying some Broad Beans from the garden
but they won't last much longer. I have some little peas
on my Pea plants. Doubt if they will reach the kitchen !!
Also I am delighted to see a few Sweet Peas starting to
flower. I haven't grown them for years and they are so nice
for cut flowers.

Tonight I have an article sent by my friend Linda by e mail.
It is called Procrastination. Thank you, Linda.

A friend opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up
a silk paper wrapped package : "This." he said, "isn't any
ordinary package."

He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper and
the box. . . .
"She got this the first time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years
ago. She had never put it on, was saving it for a special
occasion. Well, I guess this is it. He got near the bed and
placed the gift box next to the other clothings he was taking
to the funeral house; his wife had just died. He turned to me
and said :

"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in
your life is a special occasion."

I still think those words changed my life.

Now I read more and clean less.

I sit on the porch without worrying about anything.

I spend more time with my family, and less at work.

I understand that life should be a source of experience
to be lived through. I no longer keep anything. I use
crystal glasses every day. I'll wear new clothes to the
supermarket, if I feel like it.

I don't save my special perfume for special occasions, I
use it whenever I want to. The words "Some day. . ."and
"One day" are fading away from my dictionary. If it's
worth seeing, listening to, or doing, I want to see, listen
or do it now. I don't know what my friend's wife would
have done if she knew she wouldn't be there the next
morning. This nobody can tell.

She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels.
I'd like to think she would go out for Chinese, her favorite
food. It is these small things that I would regret not doing,
if I knew my time had come.

I would regret it, because I would no longer see the friends
I would meet, letters . . . that I wanted to write.
"One of these days."
I would regret and feel sad, because I didn't say to my family
and friends often enough how much I loved them.

Now I try not to delay, postpone or keep anything that could
not bring laughter and joy into our lives.
And on each morning, I say to myself that this could be a
a special day. . .

Each day, each hour, each minute, is special.
<><><>

Time for some jokes . . . . .

A young blonde was on vacation in the depths of Louisiana.
She desperately wanted a pair of genuine alligator shoes,
but was very reluctant to pay the high prices
local vendors
were asking.

After becoming very frustrated with the 'no haggle' attitude
of one of the shopkeepers, the blonde shouted, "Maybe, I'll
just go out and catch my own alligator so I can get a pair of
shoes at a reasonable price !"

The shopkeeper said, "By all means, be my guest. Maybe you'll
luck out and catch yourself a big one!" Determined the blonde
turned and headed for the swamps, set on catching herself an
alligator.

Later in the day, the shopkeeper was driving home, when he
spotted the young woman standing waist deep in the water,
shotgun in hand. Just then he saw a huge 9 foot alligator swimming
quickly towards her. She took aim, killed the creature, and with
a great deal of effort hauled it up on the swamp bank.

Lying nearby were several more of the dead creatures. The shop-
keeper watched in amazement. Just then the blonde flipped the
alligator on it's back, and frustrated, shouts out, :Damn it, this
one isn't wearing any shoes either !!"
<><>

Three tortoises, Mick, Andy and Roy, decide to go on a picnic.
So Mick packs the picnic basket with beer and sandwiches. The
trouble is the picnic ground is 10 km away so it takes them 10
days to get there.

When they get there Mick unpacks the food and beer. "OK Roy,
give me the bottle opener."
"I didn't bring it ," says Roy, "I thought you packed it."

Mick gets worried, and turns to Andy and asks, "Did you bring
the bottle opener ?" But he didn't bring it either. So they're stuck
10 km from home without a bottle opener.

Mick and Andy beg Roy to go back for it, but he refuses as he says
they will eat all the sandwiches. After two hours, and after they
have sworn on their tortoise lives that they will not eat the sand-
wiches, he finally agrees.

So Roy sets off down the road at a steady pace. Twenty days pass
and he still isn't back and Mick and Andy are starving, but a promise
is a promise. Another five days and he still isn't back, but a promise
is a promise.

Finally, they can't take it any longer so they take out a sandwich each
and just as they are about to eat it, Roy pops up from behind a rock
and shouts, "I knew it . . . I'm not b****y going !!!!!"
<><>

An officer in the US Naval Reserve was attending a conference
including admirals from both the US Navy and the French Navy.
At a cocktail reception, he found himself in a small group that
included personnel from both Navies.

The French Admiral started complaining that whereas Europeans
learned many languages, Americans learned only English. He then
asked why is it we have to speak English at these conferences
rather than you speak French ?"

Without hesitation, the American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's
because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans have
arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."
<><>

Husband and wife were in the midst of a violent quarrel,
and hubby was losing his temper. "Be careful," he said to
his wife. "you will bring out the animal in me."

"So what ?" his wife shot back, "who is afraid of a mouse ?!!"
<><>

A woman standing naked in front of the bedroom mirror
says to her husband, "I feel fat, saggy and ugly. Pay me
a compliment."

Her husband said, " Your eyesight is blooming spot-on."
<><>

Jake was dying. His wife Becky, was maintaining a candlelight
vigil by his side. She held his fragile hand, tears running down
her face. Her praying roused him from his slumber.

He looked up and his pale lips began to move slightly, "Becky,
my darling," he whispered.
"Hush my love," she said, "Rest, don't talk.
He was insistent.
"Becky," he said in his tired voice "I have something I must
confess."

"There isn't anything to confess," replied the weeping Becky.
"Everything's all right, go to sleep."
"No, No, I must die in peace Becky. I I . . .I slept with your
sister, your best friend, her best friend and your mother !"

"I know," whispered Becky, "that's why I poisoned you !!"
<><>
And a few quotes ~ ~ ~ ~

Love is a temporary insanity, curable by marriage.
- - - Ambrose Bierce.

Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people
have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes
a miracle. - - - - Amy Bloom.

I am like a falling star who has finally found her place next to
another in a lovely constellation, where we will sparkle in the
heavens forever. - - - - Amy Tan.

If you have love in your life it can make up for a great many
things you lack. If you don't have it, no matter what else there
is, it's not enough. - - - - Ann Landers.

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking
together in the same direction. - - -Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Well, that is it for tonight folks. Have a lovely day tomorrow
wherever you are and remember not to wait for "Someday"
or "One day" as they may never come. Love and Best Wishes
to you all. Cheers, Merle.

Post 338 - - - - Sunday, 14th October, 2007.
<><><>



11 comments:

kenju said...

"Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people
have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes
a miracle."

Boy is that ever true!!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Merle,

Of course, it's fall here, and I still have some tomatoes on my 4 tomato plants. They seem to take longer to ripen, but oh, they taste so delicious, when they do

So true abour Procrastination! Loved the reminder.
Love the jokes. The blonde and the alligator shoes is great. And the "who is afraid of a mouse," is hilarious! And then there is the husband who pays his wife a compliment. Hehe.

Always fun to read your entries, Merle. Hope you are gaving a pleasant Monday.

Warmest regards,

Reni

david santos said...

Helo, Merle!
I come to congratulate you with yours 338 post. Much post, congratulations.
Now desire you that you have a good week, with health and next to your family.
Thank you

Lady Di Tn said...

Merle
Someday Mother was gonna quilt as much as she wished and someday she was gonna wear these news things. As the story said " someday never came" and I have done as the story states lots of times. But there are still some people I need to visit and not put it off to someday.
Thanks for the reminder.
love and prayers

Lee said...

I'm glad you're still enjoying that meatloaf recipe, Merle. :)

I spent Sunday afternoon watching the Phillip Island race. It was so great to see Casey Stoner win. What a wonderful young man!

JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Merle,

Very good post.

:) the blonde joke made me smile.


Love,

Junie

Lucy Stern said...

"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in
your life is a special occasion."

How true...How true.

Merle, tell me about the picture at the top of your blog...Whos getting married and are you the one in the middle?

Val said...

Although there's a lot to be said for procrastination, in that story you've posted, it's definitely better consider every day one lives a special occasion and not put off those special things.

Raggedy said...

Wonderful post my dear!
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy

audrey` said...

Dearest Merle

It's a very nice pic at the top of your blog =)

Gledwood said...

Procrastination=one subject at which I'm expert...