Sunday, November 11, 2007

The White Rose.

Post 361 ~ ~ ~ Sunday, 11th November, 2007.

Hello my friends ~ ~ I hope you are having a great

Weekend and everything is going well at your place.

In Australia, it is all but over. Today has been our

Remembrance Day, to remember and honor all the

men and women who have died for our country.

We observe a minute's silence on the 11th hour of the

11th day of the 11th month and then a bugler plays

The Last Post. They played that at my late husband’s

funeral, so it always hits home. My mother also felt

that way about The Last Post as her first husband

was in the First World War.


It has been quite warm here today, and the week

ahead promises to be the same. Or should I say,

threatens ? You can guess I am not over-fond of hot

weather, but it will get a lot hotter than it is now.

I have a nice story tonight, sent to me by my friend, Kim.

It is a tear-jerker, but a nice story. Thanks Kim.!!

It is called “The White Rose.” Enjoy.

On the last day before Christmas, I hurried to the supermarket

to buy the remaining of gift I didn't manage to buy earlier.

When I saw all the people there, I started to complain to

myself: 'It is going to take forever here and I still have so many

other place to go...'

Christmas really is getting more and more annoying every year.

How I wish I could just lie down, go to sleep and only wake up after it...'

Nonetheless, I made my way to the toy section, and there I

started to curse the prices, wondering if after all kids really play

with such expensive toys.

While looking in the toy section, I noticed a small boy of

about 5 years old, pressing a doll against his chest.

He kept on touching the hair of the doll and looked so sad. I

wondered who was this doll for.

Then the little boy turned to the old woman next to him:

'Granny, are you sure I don't have enough money?'

The old lady replied: 'You know that you don't have enough

money to buy this doll, my dear.'

Then she asked him to stay here for 5 minutes while she went to

look around. She left quickly.

The little boy was still holding the doll in his hand.

Finally, I started to walk toward him and I asked him who did

he want to give this doll to

.
It is the doll that my sister loved most and wanted so much for

this Christmas. She was so sure that Santa Claus would bring it to her.'

I replied to him that maybe Santa Claus will bring it to her,

after all, and not to worry.

But he replied to me sadly. 'No, Santa Claus cannot bring it to

her where she is now. I have to give the doll to my mother so that

she can give it to her when she goes there.'

His eyes were so sad while saying this. 'My sister has gone to

be with God. Daddy says that Mummy will also go to see God very soon,

so I thought that she could bring the doll with her to give it to my sister'

My heart nearly stopped.

The little boy looked up at me and said: "I told daddy to tell

mummy not to go yet. I asked him to wait until I come back from the

supermarket"

Then he showed me a very nice photo of him where he was

laughing. He then told me "I also want mummy to take this photo with

her so that she will not forget me."

"I love my mummy and I wish she doesn't have to leave me but

daddy says that she has to go to be with my little sister"

Then he looked again at the doll with sad eyes, very quietly.

I quickly reached for my wallet and took a few notes and said

to the boy. "What if we checked again, just in case you have enough

money?'

"Ok" he said "I hope that I have enough." I added some of my

money to his without him seeing and we started to count it. There was

enough for the doll and even some spare money.

The little boy said: "Thank you God for giving me enough money"

Then he looked at me and added "I asked yesterday before I

slept for God to make sure I have enough money to buy this doll so

that mummy can give it to my sister. He heard me'

"I also wanted to have enough money to buy a white rose for my

mummy, but I didn't dare to ask God too much. But He gave me enough

to buy the doll and the white rose.'

"You know, my mummy loves white roses"

A few minutes later, the old lady came again and I left with my trolley.

I finished my shopping in a totally different state from when I

started. I couldn't get the little boy out of my mind.

Then I remembered a local newspaper article 2 days ago, which

mentioned of a drunk man in a truck who hit a car where there was one

young lady and a little girl.

The little girl died right away, and the mother was left in a

critical state. The family had to decide whether to pull the plug on

the life-assisting machine, because the young lady would not be able

to get out of the coma.

Was this the family of the little boy?

Two days after this encounter with the little boy, I read in

the newspaper that the young lady had passed away.

I couldn't stop myself and went to buy a bunch of white roses

and I went to the mortuary where the body of the young woman was

exposed for people to see and make last wish before burial.

She was there, in her coffin, holding a beautiful white rose in

her hand with the photo of the little boy and the doll placed over

her chest.

I left the place crying, feeling that my life had been changed

forever. The love that this little boy had for his mother and his

sister is still, to this day, hard to imagine. And in a fraction of a

second, a drunk man had taken all this away from him.

<><><>

A man is seriously ill in hospital and his wife and five children visit him. They tell him
how much they love him and, after wishing him well with his operation, the children leave the ward, so he can talk privately with his wife.

“Darling,” the man said, “you and the children all think I’m having an operation.. But today the surgeon told me that my condition has got worse. There are too many complications and I may not survive the night.

The man’s wife burst into tears as he continued : There is one thing I’ve always been unsure of and I hope you will answer honestly. All our children have dark hair, like you and me, except for the youngest one, who has light brown hair. I can understand if he’s not mine and you had a brief affair. I forgive you. But is he mine ?”

“Yes,” replied his wife “I can honestly tell you he really is your son.”

Her husband smiled and lapsed into unconsciousness. His wife softly muttered to herself : “Thank goodness he didn’t ask me about the other four . . . ." . <><>

The young woman was visiting the male psychiatrist for the first time, and he decided to test her reaction to different pictures.

First he held up a card on which had been drawn two circles that almost touched. “What does this make you think of ?” the psychiatrist asked.

“Two fat people about to make love,” replied the young woman.

The psychiatrist showed the woman a picture of two wavy lines.

“That looks like the sand on the beach after two people have made passionate love for hours – or maybe it is a water-bed rocking in motion to some lovers in action.”

“Hmm,” said the psychiatrist, leaning back in his chair. “You seem to be overly pre-occupied with sex.”

“How dare you ,” snapped the woman. It was you who showed me the dirty pictures " <><>

I wouldn’t say he was stupid ~ ~ but he recently took a necktie back to the shop he bought it from. He told the store assistant he was returning the tie because it was too tight.

<><>

When Claude’s wife was expecting their second child he told his three year old son that soon a giant stork would be arriving and it would land on the chimney of their house. In the stork’s beak would be a wonderful present.

“Oh,” said Claude’s son, “I hope it will be quiet and won’t upset Mummy. A giant bird suddenly arriving like that might give her a shock. And that wouldn’t be any good, as you know you made her pregnant and she’s expecting a baby.”

<><>

John had only been in prison for three months when he got into a fight with another prisoner who sliced off John’s ear with a knife. A short time later, he got tonsillitis and
had his tonsils removed.

Then John got a mouth infection and had to have six teeth extracted. Soon after that, his hand got slammed in a door and he had to have the tips of three fingers amputated.

A few weeks later John had appendicitis and his appendix was taken out. It was at this point that a prison warder went to the governor of the prison and warned : “I think John is escaping bit by bit !!”

<><>

Peter received the following letter from his girl-friend : “Darling Peter, I’m so sorry I quarrelled with you and called off our wedding. I’m terribly, terribly sorry for all the hateful and spiteful things I said about you and do hope you will forgive me. Whatever you want of me I shall try to give – and do hope you will give me one more chance. I know I said I was leaving you for Tony, saying he was a much better man than you, but I never honestly meant it. Tony means nothing to me. You are the only one in my heart. You, Peter are all I desire. Please forgive me and take me back, Your ever- loving Janice.

PS May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on winning such a large amount on the Lottery” <><>

My friend Robyn sent me a few more daffynitions as she called them. Spellchecker doesn’t like that word Robyn !!

Massachusetts . . . . several pairs of false teeth.

Flying Buttress . . . a nanny goat with wings.

Singlet . . . . a very young vocalist.

Defence . . . .what goes around the outside of de paddock. <><>

Well, that’s it for tonight, my friends. I hope that tomorrow will be a great day for us all. Take care of yourselves and each other. Love and best wishes to you all. Cheers, Merle.

Post 361 ~ ~ ~ Sunday, 11th November 2007.

<><><>

11 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Merle,

There have been many observances here as well to honor Veterans on Veterans Day.

The Last Rose is beautiful, indeed, and a real tear jerker.

The letter to Peter is funny! As are all the other jokes.

I don't like hot weather either, Merle, but I like the cold weather coming our way even less.

Well, it's early Sunday morning, and I will be getting ready for church soon. Hope you are having a nice Monday.

As always, warmest regards,

Renie

Lady Di Tn said...

Thanks for giving us a heads up that the story was a tear jerker.
LOL at defence definition.
Peace be with you.

Lucy Stern said...

Veterens Day is important in all of our lives.....

I like the story of the white rose...I wonder how many people would have helped the little boy buy his doll and white rose? I would say, anyone with a heart.

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Merle,

Whenever the bugler plays The Last Post it brings tears to my eyes, it is such a soulful sound. It was Remembrance Day here in Canada as well and I watched the ceremonies on tv this morning. When I look at the old veterans faces I wonder what horror those eyes saw during the wars. We will never forget them.

Oh dear, the White Rose story has got me reaching for the tissues...makes you think of what some people are going through while all we think about is what to buy as gifts for everybody on our list. Very touching, Merle, thank you for sharing it with us. Maybe we call all learn a little something from this story.

Of course, I enjoyed all the jokes...you're the only blogger who can make me cry and laugh with one post! lol Take care dear friend! xoxo

Mountain Mama said...

Hi Merle. It's sunday here and the wind is howling around my house. The temp is around 42 degrees and my feet are cold! I'll trade you for a bit of your nice summer temps.
I picked some Fugi apples this morning while the dogs were having their morning run. We have had a few frost's so the cells are broken and the apples are sweet, crisp and juicy. Just perfect!
I enjoyed your story and the jokes too. The new 'daffynition's are really good. Don't you just love them?
Take care Merle and a big hug for you.

Patty said...

Well Merle, you did it again, first I was near tears with the Christmas story, then you came up with some good (funny) jokes. Thanks for the laugh. We to have today which we call Veteran's Day.
Sleep well tonight.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Oh dear, what a sad story about the last rose.

But...I loved the jokes, especially the one about the dirty pictures!

Yeah,spellchecker's like that...doesn't like words it doesn't know.

We have showery weather here and it's not particularly hot...about 26 I think, most unusual for Qld at this time of year. It's not very humid, either. Definitely unusual!

Hugs xoxo

Mary said...

Merle,

Thank you for your Remembrance Day post. We also celebrate Remembrance Day here in Canada.

I loved the Last Rose. I have read it before and it is always heart touching.

I have entered your name in my giveaway for The Shoe Box. Good luck!

Jeanette said...

Hi Dear Merle,Just taking a minute or 2 while we make our last cuppa before bed.my visitors leaving Thursday.. Im glad you gave us a warning, The White Rose A tear jerker.How many would stop and help the little boy today..
Great jokes. I cant pick a favorite one tonight.
Take care keep cool see you soon, Jan

Unknown said...

Merle, I’m so glad you have the tradition of observing a minute or two of silence. I wish we in the U.S. had/observed the same tradition.

audrey` said...

The White Rose article is so heartbreaking.
God bless the little boy and his daddy.