Monday, July 07, 2008

There's Sunshine in a Smile.

Post 476 ~ ~ ~ Monday, 7th July, 2008.

Hi Everyone ~~ I hope the new week has started well
for you or is about to. We have black skies and the
promise of decent rain, so I have my fingers crossed.

We have a blogger friend's birthday July 8th
so won't you pop over to wish Gattina a very Happy
Birthday. Our Belgium friend is holidaying in Italy
at present. I hope you have a great day, Gattina.

I am sorry that a joke I posted on Saturday offended
some people, that was not my intention. Thanks to
those who showed support for me, and the matter is
now happily resolved.

I have another of Helen Steiner Rice's poem tonight.
It is called "There's Sunshine in a Smile."

Life is a mixture of sunshine and rain,
Laughter and pleasure, teardrops and pain,
All days can't be bright, but it's certainly true,
There never was a cloud the sun didn't shine through --

So just keep on smiling whatever betide you,
Secure in the knowledge God is always beside you,
And you'll find when you smile your day will be brighter
And all your burdens will seem so much lighter --

For each time you smile you will find that it's true
Somebody, somewhere will smile back at you,
And nothing on earth can make life more worthwhile
Than the sunshine and warmth of a beautiful smile.
<><>

About to take his first horseback ride, the novice
cowboy was checking out the horses in the stable.
The old wrangler asked whether he wanted an
English saddle or a Western saddle.
"What's the difference?" asked the tenderfoot.

"The English saddle is flat, while the Western has
a horn in the front."
"Better give me the English saddle," the fellow
replied, "I don't expect to be riding in traffic."
<><>

While other people go to church every Sunday
morning, Charles, a farmer, like to sit in the
village restaurant drinking wine.

One day, the priest said to him, "Charles, I'm
afraid we shall not see each other in heaven."

A worried Charles replied, "But, Father, what
on earth have you done?"
<><>

The psychiatrist was interviewing a first-time
patient. "You say you are here because your
family is worried about your taste in socks?"

"That's correct," muttered the patient, "I like
wool socks."

"But that's perfectly normal," replied the doctor.
"Many people prefer wool socks to those made
from cotton or acrylic. In fact, I myself prefer
wool socks."

"Really?" exclaimed the man. "With oil and
vinegar or just a squeeze of lemon?"
<><>

The judge was trying to change the mind of a
woman filing for divorce. "You are 92," he
said. "Your husband is 94. You have been
married for 73 years. Why give up now?"

"Our marriage has been on the rocks for quite
a while," the woman explained, "But we decided
to wait until the children died."
<><>

"How lovely you look, my dear," gushed a
wedding guest to the bride. And then she
whispered, "Whatever happened to that dizzy
blonde your groom used to date?"

"I dyed my hair," replied the bride.
<><>

First girl : "My elder sister gives me the creeps."
Second girl : "Why is that?"

First girl : "She passes on all her unwanted
boyfriends."
<><>

"The guys down at the pub worked out that
the postman has seduced every woman on
our street except one." Harvey told his wife.

She thought for a moment, "I'll bet it's that
snooty Mrs. Jenkins.
<><>

Edgar, father of nine, reflected on how he had
mellowed over the years: "When the firstborn
coughed or sneezed, I called the ambulance.
When the last one swallowed a dime, I just told
him it was coming out of his allowance."
<><>

A few quotes to finish with ~ ~ ~

May you live all the days of your life.
~ ~ Jonathan Swift.

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be,
the last of life, for which the first was made.
~ ~ ~ Robert Browning.

If I 'd known i was going to live this long,
I'd have taken better care of myself.
~ ~ ~ Eubie Blake on his 100th birthday.

Middle Age : When you begin to exchange
your emotions for symptoms.
~ ~ ~ Georges Clemenceau.

He who has health has hope, but he who
has hope has everything.~~ Arab proverb.
<><>

Well that's it for this post. Look after your-
selves
and enjoy your lives my friends.
Love and Best Wishes to you all. Cheers,
Merle.

Post 476 ~ ~ ~ Monday, 7th July, 2008.
<><><>


14 comments:

Gledwood said...

Hi Merle!

Sorry I've not been round. No Computer Time (dreadful!)

Springboarding from one of your lil jokes there I remember one from the mental hospital that goes something along the lines of God not thinking he's a psychiatrist but psychiatrists beingutterly convinced they are God!

Dave said...

Great post Merle, as always... and I LOVED the joke on Saturday! (see my comment)

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Wow, Merle, you have some very protective friends lol. I can understand why, too, because you are a very sweet lady, and I really do understand that this is all in fun. I have never thought that I had the right not to be offended - honestly, tho, I wasn't offended personally. I just know people who would be deeply hurt by it. But I suppose there could be a case made about that for lots of jokes. I promise I am not sensitive, and I'm not a scolder by nature - I know you didn't mean anything by it, and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Or your friends! I went to Patty's blog and liked it quite a bit. I am very glad we remain friends. And as you said, I hope it is resolved now.

Bear Naked said...

Hello Merle.

the joke about Edgar, the father of nine, made me laugh.
Thanks

Bear

Patty said...

Once again, you had some funny ones, I especially liked the saddle joke.

By the way, when I clicked to wish your friend Happy Birthday, it didn't come up as a blog.

Sleep well.

LZ Blogger said...

Merle ~ I had to read the post on my blog from you TWICE. It was not my birthday. Mine is in Jan. But after I went to Jim's site and say the BlogStcok info, I see what happened. Both of us Jerry's were standing "side by side" in front of the BlogStock float. I was the older shorter Jerry in the white shirt, (with the gray hair) the younger Jerry was the one in the red t-shirt and the ball cap right next to me. It was his birthday, not mine. But the truth is that we all had a great time and Cliff and Ralph and their wives (Marilyn and Char) were great hosts and hostesses for a wonderful time there together! ~ Thanks for the early b-day wishes anyway! ~ jb///

Lady Di Tn said...

Merle
Good post and I like the green cowboy. LOL
I am thankful all is resolved with the joke.
Peace be with you. love and prayers

LZ Blogger said...

Merle ~ No worries about the birthday thing. It was just a harmless error. That I found humorous.
Yes! I took about 250 pictures at "BlogStock'08", but I need to post them "just a few" at a time. I'll try and get my first POST-BlogStock post up by this weekend. I am still sorting through the photos for the most representative ones to go with the text of my post. ~ Cheers! ~ jb///

Susie said...

Hi Merle,
Lovely to catch up here on all your news. I had seen on Jen's that she had been to visit and loved the photo of your two smiling faces!!
Sorry you had a bit of trouble with someone taking offense at one of your jokes. I hope by now it's well resolved. Everyone who knows you knows you would never ever hurt anyone. Keep on doing what you're doing!!
love and ((hugs))

K.C. said...

I LOVE the quotes...Especially from the 100 year old youngster! My favorite one I think!

Your comments gave me lots of hope as well! Thank you! Kayce

Anonymous said...

Thanks Merle, great jokes and poem!!
I did have some fun reading them

God bless you
br.freddie

Unknown said...

I've not seen an offensive joke in all the ones you've posted. I'll have to click back and look. However, I doubt I shall be offended!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a happy day, Merle, with much joy and many smiles.

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Merle,

After some very hot days, we are getting rain this morning as well. Good for the garden and the grass and trees.

I know you never would intentionally want to offend anyone, dear Merle!

I love the poem There's Sunshine in a Smile. Well, I love all of Helen Steiner Rice's poetry. And it's certainly true, there is sunshine in a smile.

Funny joke about the cowboy and the English saddle. And Hahaha about the old couple's divorce reason. And the blond bride who died her hair was a hoot as well. And I love the quotes, especially the one from Eubie Blake.

I'm looking forward to my older son and family's visit later this month. They were last here around Easter, so it will be nice to see them again.

As always, my visit with you is most enjoyable, dear Merle. Take care of yourself and have a wonderful week.

Love and Blessings,

Renie

PS. Loved the picture of your two friends, Jan and Pauline, in the post below.

audrey` said...

Dearest Merle

Thank you so much for all the very lovely smiles that you're bringing into my life.
I'm smiling with you now =)

(((HUGS))) and love and blessings to you.

Take care, my dearest friend