Saturday, September 20, 2008

Reflections.

Post 511 ~ ~ Saturday, 20th September, 2008.

Hello my friends ~~ I am sorry about the underline, but maybe it will disappear shortly.
Let's just ignore it, shall we? I hope all is well with you as the weekend has arrived here.
I am fine, thank you for asking, (the ones who did). I have a bad back at the best of times but had a couple of days with a VERY bad back It's back to normal again now. I also felt a little unsteady on my feet, but then, that's normal for me. Sorry to complain about it.

I hope all the cleaning up and getting resettled after Ike is now complete for those of you who were affected. My sympathy for those who lost everything.

My first item tonight is called Reflections, sent by my friend Linda C.

Thank you Linda.
Unfortunately, it will relate to quite a few of us !!

It's Winter Before We Know it.

You know time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.

It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate.

And yet, in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all ....... and I have glimpses of how it was back then, and of all my hopes and dreams . . . . . but, here it is . . . . the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise . . . how did I get here so fast.

Where did the years go and where did my babies go? And where did my youth go?

I remember well .... seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off for me that I could not fathom it, or imagine fully what it would be like.

But here it is ..... the wife retired and she's really getting gray . ... she moves slower and I see an older woman now.

She's in better shape than me . . . but, I see the great change.

Not the one I married who was young and vibrant . . . but, like me, her age is beginning to show and now we are those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day.

And taking a nap is not a treat anymore .... it's mandatory. 'Cause if I don't on my own free will ... I just fall asleep where I sit.

And now as I enter this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and the ability to go on and do things.

I know that though winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last, and when it's over ......it's over.

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done .... things I wish I had done. But indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done.

It's all in a lifetime ... So, if you're not in your winter yet .... let me remind you ... It will be here faster than you think! So .... whatever you would like to accomplish in your life .....please do it quickly!
Life goes by so quickly.

So.... do what you can today, because you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not!


You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life . . . live for good today and say, all the things that you want your loved ones to remember .....


"Life is a gift to you, The way you live your ife is your gift to those who come after.

Make it a fantastic one!" LIVE IT WELL.
<><>

First joke tonight was sent by two friends, Jeanette and Patty. Thank you girls.


If you want someone who will eat whatever you put in front of him and never say it's not quite as good as his mothers.

. . .then
buy a dog.

If you want someone always willing to go out, at any hour, for as long and wherever you want . . . .
......then Buy a dog

If you want someone who will never touch the remote, doesn't care about football, and can sit next
to you as you watch romantic movies . . .


If you want someone who is content to get on your bed just to warm your feet and whom you
can push off if he snores ....

. . . .then buy a dog



If you want someone who never criticizes what you do, doesn't care if you are pretty or ugly,
fat or thin, young or old, who acts as if every word you say is especially worthy of listening to,
and loves you unconditionally, perpetually .......

. . . . then buy a dog.


BUT, on the other hand, if you want someone who will never come when you call, ignores you
totally when you come home, leaves hair all over the place, walks all over you, runs around all
night and only comes home to eat and sleep, and acts as if your entire existence is solely to
ensure his happiness . . . .

^

^

^

^
. . . . then buy a cat!



Thank you Linda May for the next one. How to be a Perfect B***h.

Jennifer's wedding day was fast approaching. Nothing could dampen her excitement - - not even her parent's nasty divorce.

Her mother found the PERFECT dress to wear and would be the best dressed mother of the bride ever.

A week later, Jennifer was horrified to learn that her father's new young wife had bought the exact same dress! Jennifer asked her to exchange it, but she refused.

"Absolutely not. I look a million bucks in this dress and I'm wearing it." she replied.

Jennifer told her mother who graciously said, "Never mind sweetheart. I'll get another dress. After all it's your special day."

A few days later, they went shopping and did find another gorgeous dress. When they stopped for lunch, Jennifer asked her mother, "Aren't you going to return the other dress?" You don't really have another occasion where you could wear it."

Her mother just smiled and replied, "Of course I do, dear. I'm wearing it to the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding.
<><><>

A couple from Sue and Bob Thank you.

What's the definition of the bravest man in the world?

The man who comes home, drunk, covered in lipstick and smelling of perfume.

Then he slaps his wife on the backside and says, "You're next, fatty."
<><>

Ed was in trouble. He forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife was very upset. She told him "Tomorrow morning I expect to find a gift in the driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in six seconds. AND IT BETTER BE THERE."

The next morning, Ed got up early and left for work. When his wife woke up, she looked out the window and sure enough there was a small gift-wrapped box in the middle of the driveway.

Confused, she put on her robe, ran out to the driveway and picked up the box. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Funeral services for Ed have been scheduled for Friday.
<><>

One from my dear friend, Barbara. Thank you. I hope all is well.

This is INCREDIBLE . . . Read all the Numbers . . . Slowly and in order !! Be careful not to MISS ANY ~ ~

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Finished? Scroll Down

^

^

GOOD ! TOMORROW I'LL SEND YOU THE ABC s

It takes so little to amuse old people.
<><>

When I told my children that I used to be young once, they congratulated me on having such a long memory.
<><>

When he asked to be buried at sea, his family hired a team of divers to dig his grave.
<><>

The young boy came home from school and asked his father, "Dad, is it true that I am a descendant of apes?"

"I'm not really sure," replied his father. "I don't know much about your mother's side of the family.
<><>

A friend of mine has a 15 year old son at school in London. She's very worried about his progress.
Although his teacher gave hin an A in multi-cultural assimilation, an A in psycho-social awareness and another A in organizational behaviorism - my friend wonders when her son is going to learn how to read and write.
<><>

One door to door salesman does very well by using the opening line, "Can I interest you in something your neighbors said you couldn't possibly afford?"
<><>

When he went to the bank and asked the cashier to check his balance, she asked him to stand on one leg and said she'd time how long he could remain like that.
<><>

People say that with all the developments in television ---cable, satellite, digital, high definition -- that TV will eventually completely replace newspapers. But then, have you ever tried to swat a fly with a television set.
<><>

Time to close for tonight. Take care of yourselves and each other.
My love and best wishes to you all, and thanks so much for the comments on my blog.
Cheers, Merle.

Post 511 ~ ~ ~ Saturday, 20th September, 2008.
<><><>






24 comments:

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Merle,
Glad your back is back to normal again ... nothing worse than a really sore back ... so debillitating.
Hasn't the weather been awful today ?? I hope it improves, as we are off tomorrow on a camping trip for a week to the Grampians ... if it is still too windy, it's gonna be fun putting up the tent !!!
Hope the remainder of your weekend is good.
Take care, hugs to you, dear Merle.
Connie xxx

Peter said...

G'day Merle, it didn't fix itself but I managed to do so, I also extended the text lines a bit, to me that looks better.
G'day from Warren, I'm there for the weekend, but I'm going to pick Zacariah up here in Brisbane and take him home for a few days before he flys to Melbourne where he'll stop for the grand final... what a life.

Christina said...

Hi Merle, I'm glad your back is better. my hubby suffers from a bad back and i know how awful it can be. good joikes as usual! I love the puppy pictures. I am posting again after a long hiatus, so i hope to see you on my blog too!

Jeanette said...

Hi Dear Merle, Another glorious day, So pleased Your feeling a lot better and your back is improving, Ohh the pain I feel for you Merle..
Nice story I sure can relate to lot of it...
I had quiet a chuckle at your jokes tonight... Take great care, get plenty of rest Merle Im off for a early night, Bus leaves club 9am tomorrow , Indoor bowling at Barooga wont get home till about 6 maybe later,. Love Janxxxx

Bear Naked said...

Hi Merle
Glad to *hear* that you are feeling better.
That mother of the bride joke is really funny.
I am going to send it to a friend who is going to be a mother of the bride in December.
I know she will appreciate it as there is a new (second and much younger)wife of her ex husband invited to the wedding.

Bear((( )))

Patty said...

Dear Merle,
Glad your back is feeling better. Thank goodness I don't get it often in the back where it hangs on for too long. Now Abe sometimes does something that causes him to walk around like a Z shape for several weeks.

If only some of the younger people would know how true Reflections is.

And I say good for the Mother of the bride, that is great, she must be some classy lady.

Your blog looks great. Love it. Have a good evening and night.
Love, Patty

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Merle,

I am sorry your back has been hurting. I have a back problem as well, and when it "goes out" it is not good. I hope you feel better now, although with a bad back, one has to be ever so careful all the time.

Reflections really reminds us to live life to the fullest every day. Thank you for sharing it.

Love the adorable puppies, and then there is the cat! LOL. I have both cats and dogs and how true it is!

The jokes are really good. Jennifer's mother was a smart lady. LOL. But Ed was a dumb guy! LOL. And it is so true, it takes very little to amuse old people. Hahaha.

Dear Merle, Greg is here finishing up some of the clean up from Ike. The yard is starting to look normal again, and the gutters have been cleaned of all the leaves. And I am going to make him some lunch soon.

Oh, I was finally successful in Following your blog! Yay!

I enjoyed my visit with you as always. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.

Love and blessings,

Renie

Gigi Ann said...

G'Day Merle,

That "Reflection" commentary was right on...Where did the time go? We just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in July. And some friends are having a party for us next Saturday evening. We were all so busy this summer they are just getting around to it. I told them I didn't care, because I was celebrating for 4 more months anyway.

I was sorry to hear you are having back problems. I don't like a back ache. They usually put me in my bed or lazy boy chair, until it gets better. But I'm not bothered to often.

I liked the joke about the scales that went from 0 to 200 in a few seconds. May he rest in peace;))

Merle, have a nice week-end.

Ann

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Merle. I so enjoy reading your posts. Great story and jokes today, as always.
Take care
Lisa

Puss-in-Boots said...

No, I haven't reached the winter yet...I'm still in autumn and plan to stay there for some time to come. Actually I'm trying to get back to the summer of my life...so far with no success.

I do hope your back is much better now, Merle. I can sympathise. However, since I'm unable to take glucosamine, my GP has given me Panadol Osteo...it's wonderful. I told Ken about it, because he gets very sore hips and he's much more mobile now. I am, too, and back to walking again. It's a prescription from the doctor, but not expensive.

Take care, Merle and I hope you're feeling less painful soon.

Hugs.

Rob said...

Hi Merle, I hope your back continues to be not too painful and don't worry about complaining, if you can't complain to your friends who can you complain too? I hope Sunday has been good to you. Bob.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Merle, the good thing about Panadol Osteo is that it doesn't have codeine, and asthmatics and pregnant woman can take it, so I think you'll have no problems.

Good luck!

Hootin Anni said...

Hello dear Merle!!!

I so related to the "Winter of Life"...y'know my hubby is 10 years older than I am, and he looks younger than I do. S'pose it's his fault? Ya, I blame it on him. [Kidding!] But, yes,----live for today for tomorrow's winter may never be seen or appreciated. I love this.

And buy a dog and buy a cat...too funny, it ties in a bit for the "Bravest man alive" definition.

Hope your weekend, dear Merle, has treated you well.

Unknown said...

Hi, Merle! That “underline” is something that those of us who post with Firefox have had to endure off and on for a while now. Yes, let us just ignore it.

I pray your back is doing better on the loverly (as Liza Doolittle would sing) Sunday (here in Louisville anyway)!

Blessings and healing to you, my friend!

Gwen said...

Hi Merle.
"Relections" how very true,glad to hear your back is better do take care.
I'm just going up to see if my friend & neighbour needs anything.
She has jus come home after a knee replacement.
Stay Well Dear Merle xoxo

mreddie said...

So glad your back has returned to normal, I can relate to back trouble. We are still in Texas with OD and all is about back to normal with her Ike experience but many around her town are still without power. ec

Jim said...

Hi Merle, that Peter is good to you in getting your blog just right. I like the new color, I didn't like the small print for the first part today. I do have a magnifying glass in the drawer beneath the computer.
Yes, so many lost so much. We didn't lose anything (just a little food). In 1979 we lost all our personal belongings and furniture with no insurance. Even our pictures were no good.
But we recovered, most of those this time will as well. The saying is that 'They are just things. Things can be replaced.'
People in Houston/Galveston won't have their things back in order for months and maybe years. It was awful.
..

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Merle,

I have a bad back too, and went to a chiropractor for a long time. In the end I quit, he keep saying if I lost weight my back would get better. I think I needed him off my back, lol.

I like the 'buy a dog' joke with the sweet puppy pictures, and the ending with the cat in the recliner was too much, lol.

Janice~

Mountain Mama said...

Merle I don't understand what your widget and follower thing is about. Can you explain?
my e-mail:
posypockets@comcast.net

Susie said...

Hi Merle,
Glad your back is somewhat better. Try not to overdo :)
I truly enjoyed reading the seasons verse, and as it says, none of us are guaranteed to enjoy live through all the seasons of our lives. It's really best to enjoy each day to the fullest.
Loved the jokes too!
love and ((hugs))

Dave said...

As always, your post made me smile this morning Merle!

And hey, you ARE special.. don't let anyone tell you different! (even you!)

LZ Blogger said...

Metrel ~ What cute puppies! But the cat part is the TRUTH! ~ jb///

Rob said...

Hey Merle how y' doin'? Orchids are very nice although I don't find them so easy to grow here although I do seem to be getting better at it and actually have got one in flower on my desk at the moment. Its good to have visitors I find it quite sad when they've all gone though. Bob

audrey` said...

How is your back now?
Take care, Merle =)