Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lord, Prop Us Up.

Post 397 ~~ Sunday, 20th January, 2008.

Hello there Folks ~~ I hope you have all had a good weekend
and everything is going well for you. Ours is almost over, as
it's Sunday 7.30 pm. I am fine and have been enjoying cooler
weather after the lovely rain. We got 3 inches or 75 mm s in
the two days and nights and so gentle. The lawns and garden
are going to look much better in a few days.

Thank you for those who wished Robyn a Happy Birthday,
today and I hope she is having a great time as I expect she is.

Today is also the 6th anniversary of my father's death, and
it doesn't matter how old we get, we all miss our parents when
they are no longer with us. So those of you fortunate enough
to have parents living, treasure them while you are able to.
There is always something, we wish we had asked them, but
by then it is too late. Thinking of you today Dad, and every
day, with love.

Now to find something to post ~ ~ ~

This one was sent to me by my friend Lady Di
so thanks for that Di. Enjoy it my friends.

Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old deacon who
always prayed, "Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side."
After hearing him pray that way many times, someone asked
him why he prayed that prayer so fervently.

He answered,"Well, sir, you see, it's like this . . . I've got an old
barn out back and it's been there a long time and it's withstood
a lot of weather and gone through a lot of storms. It is stil
standing, but one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit.
So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its
leaning side, so it wouldn't fall.

Then I got to thinking about that and how much I was like that
old barn. I've been around a long time, and I've withstood a lot
of life's storms and a lot of bad weather in life. I've withstood
a lot of hard times, and I'm still standing too. But I find myself
leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord
to prop us up on our leaning side, cause I reckon a lot of us get
to leaning at times.

Sometime we get to leaning toward anger, leaning toward
bitterness, leaning toward hatred, leaning toward cussing,
leaning toward a lot of things that we shouldn't, so we need to
pray, "Lord prop us up on our leaning side," so we will stand
straight and tall again, to glorify the Lord.


One thing I can't recycle is wasted time.
<><>

First joke came from my friend and neighbor, Lorraine, Thanks.

A young man shopping in a supermarket noticed a little old
lady following him around. If he stopped, she stopped.
Furthermore, she kept staring at him.

She finally overtook him at the checkout. She turned to him
and said, "I hope I haven't made you feel uncomfortable. It's
just that you look so much like my late son."

He answered, "That's OK."

"I know it's silly, but if you'd call out, "Goodbye Mom" as I
leave the store. It would make me feel so happy."

She then went through the check-out. And as she was on
her way out of the store, the man called out, "Goodbye Mom."

The ittle old lady waved, and smiled back at him.

Pleased that he had brought a little sunshine into someone's
day, he went to pay for his groceries.
"That comes to #121.85," said the clerk.

"How come so much . . .I only bought 5 items. . ."
The clerk replied, " Yeah, but your Mother said You'd be
paying for her things too."

Watch out for Little Old Ladies !!!
<><>

The board of education in a nearby town sold off a building
that had been a one-room schoolhouse, which the buyer
converted into a tavern.

One day an elderly gentleman was walking by the place with
his grandson, The old man pointed to the building and said,
"That's where I used to go to school."

"Really ?" asked the boy. "Who was the bartender then ?"
<><>

A new teacher was trying to make use of her psychology
courses. She started her class by saying, "Everyone who
thinks they are stupid, stand up."

After a few seconds, Little Johnny stood up. The teacher
said, "Do you think you are stupid, Little Johnny?"

"No, ma'am, but I hate to see you standing there all by
yourself."
<><>

A little boy opened the big family bible, He was fascinated
as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly, something
fell out of the bible. He picked up the object and looked at
it. What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in
between its pages.

"Mummy, look what I found?" the boy called.
"What have you got there, dear ?"

With astonishment in his voice, he answered, "I think it's
Adam's underpants."
<><>

A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales.
The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale
to swallow a human because even though it was a very
large mammal, its throat was very small.

The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.
Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not
swallow a human. It was physically impossible.

The little girl said, "When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah."
The teacher asked, "What if Jonah went to hell ?"

The little girl replied, "Then, you ask him."
<><><>

A boy and his father were playing catch in the front yard
when the boy saw a honey- bee. He ran over and stomped it.

"That was a honey bee," his father said, "one of our friends.
For stomping on him, you will have no honey for a week."
Later the boy saw a butterfly, so he ran and stomped it.
"That was a butterfly," his father said. "one of our friends
and for stomping him, you will do without butter for a week."

The next morning,, the family sat down for breakfast. The
boy ate his plain toast with no honey or butter.
Suddenly a cockroach ran out from under the stove. His
mother stomped it.

The boy looked at his father and said, " Are you going to
tell her, Dad, or should I ?"
<><>

Three blondes are training to be police officers. The police
sergeant who is training them takes out a picture and asks
the first blonde, "What do you notice about the man in the
picture ?" The blonde says, "He has only one eye."
The sergeant says, "No, no, it's a side view."

Then he says to the second blonde, "What do you notice
about this man ?" The second blonde says, "He has only
one ear." The sergeant says, "Hello !!! It's a side view."

So he goes over to the last blonde and says, What do you
notice about this man ?"
The final blonde says, "He wears contacts."
The sergeant goes to the computer and looks up the man
in the picture - sure enough, he wears contacts !

The sergeant was totally amazed and said, " How did you
know that ?"
The blonde says, "Well, if he only has one eye and one ear,
how can he wear glasses ?"
<><>

A few quotes to finish with ~ ~ ~

Never contradict,
Never explain,
Never apologize, ~ ~ John Arbuthnot Fisher,

Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy
~ ~ Francis Scott Fitzgerald.

To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~ ~ Benjamin Franklin.

Immature love says "I love you because I need you."
Mature love says, "I need you because I love you."
~ ~ ~ Erich Fromm.

What do you think of Western civilization ?
I think it would be a good idea. ~~Mahatma Gandhi.

If you can actually count your money, then you
are not really a rich man. ~~ Jean Paul Getty.

That is it for tonight, Folks. Please take great care
of yourselves and your loved ones. Spread some
sunshine with your smiles. Love and best wishes
to you all. Cheers, Merle.

Post 397 ~ ~ ~ Sunday, 20th January, 2008.

<><><>





19 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Merle,

It's early Sunday morning and the temperature is 9F here! And I have to get out into it, since it's Sunday and our church service is early!

Lord prop us up is a nice prayer. I'm like that old barn myself, and need a bit of propping up, straight and tall, now and then.

Hah, cunning little old lady! LOL. And the blond jokes are always funny. Well, all the jokes are funny. Put me in a good mood on this cold morning!

Love the quotes as well. Benjamin Franklin was a wise man! LOL.

Have a wonderful Monday, dear Merle.

Blessings and Love,

Renie


PS. And I will pop on over and wish Robyn a Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Sunday blessings to you, Merle.

Hootin Anni said...

I have an Blog Excellence Award for you today!! Drop by and pick it up if you wish---
It's on the Sunday blog date - you may have to scroll down to find it.

Hugs

Patty said...

I love the Little Johnny jokes. The story of the preacher and his leaning barn was great. Glad it's cooled off some for you. Makes sleepy a lot nicer when it's not so warm. That's one thing we don't have to worry about here today, so far at alsmot 10:30 am it's finally up to 4 above zero.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

You certainly do find some very funny jokes Merle and always a pithy meaningful story. I will e'mail you some comments that I used to use at the head and tail of newsleters that I used to write. VBW. EmBee

audrey` said...

Dearest Merle

"There is always something, we wish we had asked them, but
by then it is too late."
This speaks to me very personally.
Please take very good care of yourself, my friend.
(((HUGS)))

I'm very happy to hear about the rain at your place.
The air is so much fresher and cooler now.
Even your plants like it =)

Mountain Mama said...

Hi Merle. Your father passed away the day after mine did, but mine has been gone for 36 years. He was only 54 when he died. We never forget them.

Your funnies were great. I took several to send to family and friends in an e-mail.

Gina E. said...

Hi Merle,
Thank you for your anniversary congrats. on my blog, also for the comments about Elvis' birthday - never let it be said that I will forget that one! Wasn't the rain wonderful! We didn't get a downpour in Melbourne - just nice steady soaking rain.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Merle,

My father died when I was 21, and I miss him still (I'm 46).

I went to a family reunion to celebrate my Uncle's life; he is 94 (and the only of of my father's siblings still alive). Some of my children were saying they may not have him much longer.

I could have kicked myself for not telling them how very lucky they were for having him for as long as they have.

Janice~

Jeanette said...

Dear Merle. Just popped in while watching the tennis. Im going to have early night tonight back to pennant tomorrow after Xmas break.
Hahaha Great jokes ! watch out for little old women...Love Little Johnnie... great quotes also...Immature love says "I love you because I need you."
Mature love says, "I need you because I love you." The sun had a sting in it today, more hot weather on the way take care Merle... Janxxx

Lady Di Tn said...

Merle
Thanks for sharing my email with others.
You have to love little Johnny and old ladies too. ha ha
I share the same seniments with you about our parents, Dad died eight years after Mother and then I knew the pain of orphrans. I do not think the wish to ask one more question ever goes away.
Peace my dear and I am trying to figure out how to bottle some of our COLD weather to send to help with your heat. Let y'all know when I figure it out.

Deborah Wilson said...

Dear Merle,

Sorry about your Dad, my Dad is gone too. It is always worse on the date that they departed because we miss them so.

I'm glad to hear it's been raining there, it cools everything down.

It's cooolllddd here!

Gledwood said...

I'm sorry about your Dad... I'm lucky all my parents are still alive: I know a lot of people with whom this is not so... what about poor Olive aged 108 losing her SON... in a way the situation seems almost farcical to me (she is OLD)... but "farcical" or not it surely hurts just the same

thanks for your message I wasn't around last weekend as I always manage to run out of internet time... I buy in blocks of 10 hrs or so then by Friday/Saturday it's all running out!

Take care Merle I hope the weather's good by you...

G
xx

Gledwood said...

ps did you notice I've altered from a robo to a harvest mouse ~ haha!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I agree Merle....we all need to treasure the time we have with our parents...before we lose them. My father has been gone for 40 years; but my mom passed away not yet two years ago. One thing I know...they are ALWAYS with you...no matter how many years pass. Take care sweet friend...many hugs to you.

Tracie said...

Loved that prayer Merle.
May God bless your week
from Tracie

Susie said...

Hello dear Merle,
Loved all the jokes but most of all the story about the leaning barn. Guess we can all use some propping up from time to time, can't we...
Your dad passed away not long before my Mom. Hard to believe it will be six yrs in May. where does the time go?
xo

Jim said...

Hi Merle -- I don't know if we ever will forget the death of our parents on that day. Mrs. Jim's father died when she was seven, that day is still special to her.

I'm glad that boy warned me, I thing I went to that school too.
Cheers,
..